Under California Assembly Bill 119, the University has a legal obligation to provide accurate and timely information about the physical work location of represented employees to their respective unions.
Reported Work Location
Location Code + Cubicle Field = Work Location
The University reports the work location of represented employees to unions based on a combination of the Location Code on their Position record, and the Cubicle information on
the UC Job Data tab on the employee Job record.
Find the Location Code in UCPath
UCPath uses a Location Code that includes Building and Room information. This is entered on an employee’s Position record. The code and its description will display on both the Position record and Job record on the Work Location tab.
If the Location Code on the incumbent's Position is incorrect, the Position will need to be updated with the correct Location Code.
Job record on the Work Location tab:
Find the Cubicle field in UCPath
A new Cubicle field has been added to UCPath to allow for more specific information that includes the office number and cubicle—if applicable.
If the employee has an office or cubicle location that is not captured in the Location Code on the Position, the office or cubicle information must be added to the Cubicle field.
Cubicle Field Formatting:
“Office-##” or “Office-XX”
“Cubicle-##” or “Cubicle-XX”
Remote (full time)
"Hybrid" (no office/cubicle)
Update Employee Location and Cubicle Data
A general communication was sent out to campus departments regarding the one-time process for updating Location and Cubicle information to ensure data compliance for represented positions by December 31st, 2021.
For ongoing maintenance:
- The Location and Cubicle data points can be updated on staff, student, or academic student (ASE) employee job records via PayPath. Job Aid AB-119 PayPath Transaction
- To request changes to Location and Cubicle data points for Academic non-student employee job records, a UCPath Certification should be submitted. UCPath Certification and Input Instructions
Departmental Default Location Code
Departments have a default Location Code that corresponds to the administrative or mailing address of the Department. When a new Position is created, and the Department Code is entered, the Location field will auto-populate with the department's default Location Code. This code can be changed on the Position record to correspond to a code that more accurately reflects the location of the incumbent.
Departments can change the Location Code via Position Control (vacant positions) or PayPath (filled positions).
Location Code Requests
Request a New Location Code or
Change the Default Location for a Department
If the Location Code that corresponds to a Building/Address and Floor used by represented employees in your department does not exist in UCPath, or if you need to request a change to the Default Location for a Department Code, submit an IT ServiceNow ticket requesting the addition or update:
- Login to UCSB’s IT ServiceNow at ithelp.ucsb.edu.
- Navigate to Enterprise Business Applications > UCPath Technology Services > UCPath Application Configuration Request.
- Use the Description box to request the new Building/Address and Floor using the existing naming conventions.
- Questions regarding Location Code changes can be directed to the UCPath Technical Question section of IT ServiceNow.